05 October 2007

Potsdam Hbf to Innenstadt

Today I went to open a bank account, but (alas) banks close at 14:30 on Fridays. So, I took a ride over to the Potsdam main train station (Hbf). If you arrive in Potsdam, this is your first experience: a medium-sized train station, with regional trains, S-Bahn (Berlin metro light rail), trams (streetcars), and busses. And lots of bicycles.


From the main train station one crosses the Havel river in to the city center (Innenstadt), following the tram tracks down Friedrich-Ebert Strasse. There's a nice bike lane part of the time, in other places car drivers dodge bicyclists on their right and trams on their left.
Once in the town center, this street is quite happening.

Right in the middle of town, Friedrich-Ebert Strasse intersects Brandenburg Strasse, which is the pedestrian shopping street. At the far end of Brandenburg Strasse is the Brandenburg Tor, opening into the Luisenplatz (with fountain).
Here I stopped my bike ride (temporarily) to get some groceries and a wurst.

No comments: