19 October 2007

Doors

There are many things here in Germany which are slightly, but noticeably, different from life in the States. These I share not because I want to make fun of one culture or another, but because I find them interesting and I hope that some of you readers will as well.

That disclaimer being said, they're big on doors here. Yes, doors. Subdividing the interior of buildings into compartments seems to be the thing to do. And this seems to be a very conscious effort. For example, many of the apartment advertisements I've looked at list a hallway as one of the features of the flat (a feature as noteworthy as the kitchen having a window, for example). Indeed, many of the places I've visited have a short (1-2 meter) hallway with a door at every exit or entrance.

The second example is something which I think about sharing every day. In order to get from the hallway in the Institute to the toilet I have to pass through four doors. Yup, four. Passing through the first door puts you in a small room where you get to choose between the men's and women's toilets. A second door leads to a room with a sink. From this room, the third door leads to an inner room from which you may either open a (fourth) door to a room with a urinal or a (fourth) door to a room with a toilet. In some sense it provides some suspense, as one gets four opportunities to open a door and (perhaps) find someone on the other side...

No comments: