My primary reason for visiting was to check out an indoor market hall, which was fun - a good place for lunch. I also visited Victoria Park, the hill (berg) which Kreuzberg is named after. But then I arrived at the Hallesches Tor and discovered some modern architecture which was out-of-this world...
As is the case in many parts of Berlin which suffered heavy damage during the last days of the second world war (in Europe), there are many post-war buildings of questionable taste. Sometimes it seems that the West-Berlin architects were trying to compete with the communists in building large compounds which I call "utopias". The scale of these large projects can be astounding. If one looks at a satellite image of the neighborhood just north of the Hallesches Tor U-Bahn stop, one sees two co-centric circles of buildings, each circle is several city blocks in diameter!
Here are some pictures of different utopia complexes:



There is also a lot of graffiti in Berlin, some of it quite elaborate. Here is what appears to be graffiti advertising a radio station.

Rarely does one actually observe graffiti being made, but I caught this guy working on his signature on the side of one of the utopia buildings.
No comments:
Post a Comment