22 October 2008

Weekend on Moja

This past weekend I took a trip to the Stockholm Archipelago, a large collection of over 10,000 islands to the east of Stockholm. I took a ferry to the island of Moja, one of the larger islands, and stayed at this cute hostel.

The islands in the archipelago are formed of very old bedrock which was scraped clean in the last ice age and is slowly rising up from the Baltic sea (about 30 cm/year). Many of the islands are primarily bare rock, with more soil on the older (and larger) islands to the west. I found it interesting to see how people incorporated the rock into their front-yard landscaping.

The island of Moja is now mostly a place where residents of Stockholm come for summer holidays. The winter-time population of the island is 300; this rises to over 3000 in the summer. Historically, the islands residents were fishermen. There are a number of small fishing hamlets scattered about the coastline, such as this small harbor.

Many of these small communities have their own ferry terminal, consisting of a small pier, a waiting room, and a semaphore signal to let passing boats know that someone wants to board. Here is the ferry stop at Ramsmora.

My first day on the island I explored the northern and western parts of the island. That evening we had a wonderful clear night with lots of stars, until the moon rose about an hour after dark. Early the next morning it rained, after which I took a talk to Hamn on the southwestern part of the island.

I then walked back to the hostel, packed up my bags, and caught a ferry back to Stockholm.

No comments: