Amsterdam:
In the main international hall is a duty-free shop with two doors, labeled "Tobacco" and "Liquor". Enter at the gate corresponding to your vice of choice, I suppose.
Across the way is a series of ATMs, complete with competitive advertising. ("Now, cheaper than ever!")

In some abstract way, this reminds me of the automated announcements which continue to insist on describing current security measures as "increased".
Geneva:
A number of interesting things are going on in the Geneva airport. You have the option of exiting into France, rather than into Switzerland. I found it entertaining to see, along with the usual gate-navigation indicators, signs directing passengers to "France, next left", etc. Makes sense, though, to have such an option.
There are also many clocks on the walls in the Geneva airport, sponsored by a major watch-making company. Alas, from our gate we could see four clocks, each offering a different opinion as to the current time. They aren't the only ones having trouble with advertising displays in Geneva.
Next to one of the clocks was this message from a major software company.

(In case you cannot distinguish the text, it reads "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the server is busy. Try again later.")
Addendum: As suggested by the comment below, perhaps one should interpret this message from a major software company as merely indicative, providing travellers valuable insight regarding the competence of the operator of the airport's technology subcontractor and the robustness of the systems which employ.
Berlin:
Ever been confused about what exactly differentiates a macchiato from a cappuccino?
Perhaps it is easy to explain in Italian, but that's not the case in either German or English...

(I opted for the less-expensive option.)
1 comment:
Hmm, I would like some "New" US Dollars, my old ones seem to be virtually worthless outside of the US. Additionally, I think it is important to point out that it was not the Major Software Companies fault that the server could not be contacted by Windows Media Player...in fact I'm quite sure the server must have been running some unreliable open source operating system.
Post a Comment