05 March 2009

E. B. White on Peace

I am currently reading a collection of essays by E. B. White (best known for writing Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web). I highly recommend his essays which are insightful, well-grounded, and often quite humorous.

I came across this quote last night and find it worth sharing.
Most people think of peace as a state of Nothing Bad Happening, or Nothing Much Happening. Yet if peace is to overtake us and make us the gift of serenity and well-being, it will have to be the state of Something Good Happening.

-- E. B. White, 1960

The book of essays, which can be found here, also includes a very entertaining account of White's moving out of an apartment, several experiences he had while living on a farm in Maine, a very insightful essay about the people who live in New York City, and many other treasures I have yet to read.

No comments: