I returned to Berlin from a visit to Seattle/Tacoma yesterday and was lucky to be able to get home. The union representing drivers of busses (as well as streetcars and U-Bahns) is on strike, so the bus which connects the airport to the train station was not running. I was able to catch a taxi to the train station, where I caught a Deutsche Bahn train to Potsdam. This was lucky - on Monday those train drivers will also be on strike and Berlin will be left with no public transport. Yikes!
Furthermore, it was lucky that I flew directly from the US to Berlin, rather than through Frankfurt. Airport workers at many German airports are also on strike; Lufthansa has cancelled 300 flights, stranding 18,000 passengers! See Deutsche Welle for more details.
Fortunately I live within an easy bike ride of work. Other people here at the Institute who live in Berlin are scrambling to arrange carpools, etc. BVG, which operates the busses in Berlin, anticipates the strike will last at least until March 14. This could get "interesting".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment