16 November 2009

WI - Part Two

In the second part of my trip to Wisconsin, we explored the High Cliff and Ice Age trail.

The High Cliff is apparently the western end of a chunk (yup, that's the technical term) of rock which also provides us with Niagra Falls. Here is the view of the northern part of Lake Winnebago from the top of the cliff.
The rock is very layered. (Note human for scale.)
It was very, very windy on top of the cliff. Which made it a bit chilly.
There are several "Indian Mounds" on top of the cliff, which were interesting.
I also liked this leaf-covered forest floor.
Further to the south and east, we took a jaunt down the Ice Age Trail.
Along the way you can see several land formations due to the more recent ice age glaciers, as well as enjoy being out in the woods.
One formation is called a Kettle. This is where a chunk (again, technical term) gets buried in dirt which is smoothed over by the glacier. Later, the ice melts and leaves a depression.
Here is a picture of an actual Kettle. Pretty cool.
All in all, a good time was had by all.

Oh, did I mention the awesome doughnut I had on the way to the trailhead?

1 comment:

E. Geo-Man said...

Nice pictures! Thanks for putting a person in each picture for scale- perhaps you're on the way to becoming a geo photographer? I also appreciate you sharing the full, technical terminology. I hope you didn't have to walk at a glacial pace!