What does editing look like?
A good question. There are a number of things which go into the final editing. These include:
- Making sure the notation used in the paper is consistent (and sensible). This is particularly important when, as is the case with the current paper, there are multiple authors in different fields who each have their own "default" conventions.
- Making sure that everything which needs to be cited is indeed cited. A good amount of the final work for this project has involved tracking down good sources for things "we all know" but still need references. The paper has more of this type of reference than usual since the result is rather mathematical, but the target audience includes many physicists unfamiliar with the "standard literature". (This goes both ways, of course.)
- Cleaning up the equations and displays so they look nice. LaTeX is great, but this task can still be a chore, particularly for long, complicated expressions.
- Going over the paper one last time to make sure as many loose ends are tied as possible.
An even better question. How many sources of coffee and/or chocolate can you spot?
Now... back to work!
4 comments:
I see 4 cups, 2 apples, I can't tell
where the chocolate is (all gone by
now?)...
Looks like a ton of work! Chocolate is always a good incentive!
Wow, lots of food. At least you're getting some healthy foods. In addition to the sugars/caffeine, I noticed a number of sticky notes. I wonder how many of these items you will also go through...
Wow - Mom made a post?! I think she is more internet savy than me!!
Where is the beer? That ALWAYS helps you find all thos little details when editing.... :)
Post a Comment