In any event, there is a really nice series of bike paths heading east of Potsdam. Here is a typical section heading through some fields north of Marquardt.
People have been using windmills for power, and for grinding grain, in this part of Germany for a long time. Almost every small hill had a mill on it at one point in time. In fact, the name of the street on which the institute is located is "am Mühlenberg" meaning roughly 'to the mills hill'. In any event, there are lots of modern windmills as well:
I found this intersection amusing: Schloss (villa) to the right, Garlic to the left.
At Ketzin I crossed the Havel on this ferry. On the south side of the river, I picked up the official "Havel Radweg" which is particularly scenic.
Here is a view of the river Havel from mid-stream.
Here I am on the ferry.
Here is an apple orchard I passed by.
I finally made it back to the institute (where I stopped to heat up the dinner I had brought with me) just before the sun set. It was a long day - just over 100km - but I really enjoyed the scenery.
2 comments:
Wow, you really covered a lot of ground there! I noticed that the apple 'trees' were growing on strings- is that a common practice in German orchards? Glad you're getting some good biking in and hope you stopped for a pastry!
100 km = 60 miles, that's a lot! I thought schloss means castle - does it also mean villa? The ferry looks like fun.
Post a Comment