10 December 2008

Polish Christmas Market

In addition to the market in the main street in Potsdam, there are lots of Christmas Markets in various other places in town (not to mention the myriad of markets in Berlin). Last Saturday I went to the Polish market, which is only open for one weekend. A number of crafts-persons, food vendors, and musicians came from nearby Poland to sell traditional Christmas treasures and yummy food. Here is an example of some wreaths they were selling.
One fun aspect of the market was that each stall had a map of Poland showing where the vendor came from. These wreaths were from Krakow.

There were a number of fun musical groups, in all genres. I really liked this "Hunting Music" group.

Of course, the main attraction for me was the food. Here I am with my lunch...

Here is a closer look. Mmmmmmm..... (but no veggies...)

Finally, a large number of orange stands have been appearing in Potsdam lately. (By large number, I mean several per block in the shopping district.) I'm not sure what is precisely the attraction of having such a stand, though I did see two kids enjoying re-arranging the oranges. In any event, I know what I'm getting my brother for Christmas this year... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what I'm talking about! More pictures of Paul and his paultastic beard!
ac

Anonymous said...

All these pictures of food make me hungry! I definitely think Eric should get the orange thing for Christmas. Oh, by the way, I made "gluewhein" yesterday and it was really good!

-Mark